Exploring Washington, D.C. on a budget can be difficult if not planned correctly. Heading to D.C. with the kids might seem like an additional expense, but the experience I had back in December would be what I call having a blast on a budget. The kids had a great time and I didn’t break the bank or my husbands wallet making it happen. I’ve added some inspirational photos from my travels along with some links and prices to help you plan your next trip.
7 Ways to Enjoy Washington, D.C. on a Budget:
1. Heading to the National Museums, where most are FREE! Make sure you stop at the Smithsonian American Art Museum or the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture for some insight on American history over the past few hundred years. Note: Don’t waste your $ heading to the International Spy Museum, it’s not worth it.
2. Taking the Circulator bus around the National Mall for $1 each time you board. Note: You can purchase a Smartrip card which is rechargeable.
3. Exploring the U.S. Capital and Library of Congress for FREE!
4. Visiting with animals at the National Zoo, which is also FREE!
5. Visiting the Memorials of inspirational Americans like Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson and Martin Luther King Jr.
6. Staying at the centrally located, yet budget-friendly Courtyard Washington Convention Center. The hotel has a pool, so if you have kids this is the place to be. Note: Prices start at $129 per night, the rooms are large, clean and comfortable.
7. Feasting at the best food trucks D.C. has to offer, like Capital Chicken & Waffles and the Halal Grill. Prices range from $5 to $10 for a meal. Note: If you must splurge on food, head to Nando’s and try their Peri Peri Chicken with Portuguese Rice, its to die for.
Share on Pinterest