I’d like to thank Aisha from IslandGirlinTransit for my nomination. As a new blogger it was an honor to receive this nomination because I had only been blogging for three months. You can imagine my excitement when she reached out to me. Aisha is an island girl from Trinidad and Tobago. Her love for travel and photography has been highlighted on her blog, taking you from the beaches of Tobago to scuba diving in St. Lucia. Aisha provides the right amount of content and personality for my ever growing wanderlust, making her a great inspiration to me as an up and coming female travel blogger. Check out her blog for more on her own nomination. Follow her on Pinterest and Facebook for more adventures.
I look forward to seeing what she has in store for 2017 and beyond.
What is a Liebster Award?
I asked myself the same question when I was nominated. But in the simplest terms its an award from one blogger to another, showing their appreciation for great work. It’s important for new bloggers to get some level of recognition at the beginning of their journey. I actually see this as a motivator to create better content in the future.
The rules of the Liebster Award are simple:
- Display the award on your blog and write a post about the award.
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog. Tell the reader a little about your nominator.
- List these rules in your post.
- Answer the questions given to you by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate at least 5 blogs that you feel deserve the award.
- Give the nominees at least 10 questions to answer on their blog.
- Notify the nominees of the Liebster Award and ask if they would be happy to accept? If so, send them a link to your post.
Aisha’s questions for me:
1. What inspired you to start your travel blog?
I was inspired to start my travel blog after heading to Finland and Sweden last May. I’ve been traveling since the of 5, so I’ve spent a lot of time on airplanes. After returning from my educational tour with EF College Study Tours, my outlook on life outside of the U.S. changed. I felt it was important to document this change and share my experience with others. I wanted to create a travel blog to inspire women and men of all ages to travel and see the world no matter their background.
2. How would you describe your travel style?
I see myself as a culinary/cultural traveler. I need to experience all aspects of a country not just the glamorous side when I travel. Don’t get me wrong I love to visit museums and castles. But I also want to eat with locals and experience cultural events first hand. Because I travel solo, at times with friends and at times with the kids, I have to adjust my agenda based on who I’m with.
3. What is one thing you absolutely can’t travel without (this can be a travel accessory, item of clothing, gadget, anything)?
I can’t travel without my phone. My cell phone is used for taking photo’s and as my mode of communication for reaching everyone back home. I do have a GoPro, but for some reason, I prefer using my cell phone.
4. What is the most rewarding experience you’ve had while traveling?
The most rewarding experience I had was visiting Sweden. Relaxing, shopping, eating and people watching in the Old Town area of Stockholm was amazing. Since I was alone most of the time, I loved experiencing the city like a local. Finally, I was able to experience a new culture. Because the locals were having a festival the entire weekend, many people were dressed in traditional costumes, Swedish folk music played in the plaza. And everyone was invited to participate.
5. What is the most challenging experience you’ve encountered while abroad?
Paying for and using the public bathrooms also known as the WC. If you don’t have loose change, use the bathroom before you leave the hotel.
6. What was your favorite destination for 2016?
My favorite destination for 2016 was Helsinki, Finland. I loved everything about the experience, especially the people I met. Hitting the local street food market with delicious seafood and fresh fruits was by far my favorite activity everyday. I tried to learn basic Suomi while there, but most of the people I met spoke English. This made communication with street vendors and some locals easier.
7. If you could choose only one travel buddy for the next five years, who would it be and why?
I love traveling my kids, and my girl friends. But my one and only travel buddy will always be my husband.
8. Where is the furthest destination you’ve ever traveled to and why?
When I was a child the furthest I’d ever traveled was to the U.S. from Antigua. Then as an adult the furthest I traveled was to Finland from the U.S.
9. How do you finance your travels?
At this point my travels are financed by my husband or by my own income from my “day” job.
10. What destination are you most looking forward to experiencing in 2017?
I’m heading to Iceland for a solo trip in September. I’m excited for this trip because of the natural beauty of Iceland. Photos don’t do this place justice. The adventure ahead of me is also exciting because it’ll be my first international solo trip. On our way to Finland back in May, we were able to stop over in Iceland for a few hours. It was like love at first sight for me. I knew I had to head back.
11. Ultimately, what do you hope to accomplish with your blog?
My goal with this blog is continue sharing my culinary/travel experiences with others. In addition, I look forward to relocating outside of the U.S. next year. Growing my blogs influence and making my travel writing dreams come true.
Now for my nominees:
Dave of Man vs Globe is a former backpacker who takes you on a journey throughout his blog to some unexpected places like Cuba and Morocco. Dave’s blog is filled with photo diaries, highlighting the less glamorous side of various countries, including Mexico and Cuba. I decided to nominate this blog because of the local vibes and inspiring content Dave shares.
Danielle of Boots Not Roots currently lives in Ireland with her husband. Danielle’s blog is filled with travel inspiration that appeals to me. First of all, she shares her bucket list for 2017 which includes Budapest and Berlin. Danielle also offers amazing travel tips to wanderlust worthy countries highlighting where to stay and how to get there.
Jason of Arrivals and Departures maintains an inspiring travel blog where he describes himself as an “avid traveler and photographer”. You’ll find yourself lost in Jason’s photos from the moment you enter the blog. Filled with useful travel guides and tips for budget travel, this blog is ideal for anyone with an adventurous spirit. If you’re a fan of Top 10’s this is also the blog for you.
Stephanie of Life Set Travel is a travel blogger with a “day” job like myself, but she’s also an incredible content creator. Stephanie’s blog will inspire you with stunning photos of her travels from all around the world. My favorite feature of her blog so far has been the 24-Hour City Guide which includes her travels to amazing cities like New York and Dubai.
Vanessa of One Sweet Wander currently works a 9-5 job, but still enjoys traveling and taking “mini trips” around the world. Back in 2015 she graduated from college and spent a year traveling solo through several countries including, New Zealand, Cambodia and the U.S. Vanessa maintains an inspiring blog with a bucket list filled with adventurous locations and activities that are not for the faint at heart.
My questions for the nominees:
- What was your first travel experience?
- Why did you choose to document your travels with a blog?
- How do you afford to travel?
- What are your travel plans for 2017?
- What is your favorite season to travel?
- Name your two favorite destinations and explain why you chose them?
- Describe an uncomfortable experience you had while traveling?
- Why did you choose your blog title? What does it represent?
- How do you pack for your travels?
- What travel tips would you give to a first time traveler for 2017?
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you’ve gained some insight into who I am and what motivates me to travel. I was so grateful for my nomination. Remember to check out the amazing blogs I’ve shared with you. It’s so important to support up and coming bloggers.